Hear any strange or weird news lately? If so, discuss it here
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

New Jersey power outage caused by falling fish

Post by staarker »

A large section of a New Jersey town was without power for several hours -- and utility officials said the cause was a fish dropped by a bird of prey.

Jersey Central Power and Light said crews working to restore power during the weekend outage discovered a fish had landed on a transformer, causing it to explode.

"The hypothesis is that a bird dropped it," Sayreville Police Department Lt. James Novak told NJ Advance Media. "It just landed perfectly and destroyed the transformer."

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2023/08/16 ... 692203527/
1.jpg
1.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 5975 times

Re: New Jersey power outage caused by falling fish

Post by dave23 »

I know this story is meant to be funny, but to me it should scare the crap out of people. You mean...a fish can fall on a transformer and cause a power outage for hundreds or thousands of people? Just goes to show you how fragile our infrastructure is.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

Once a madman in our country climbed up the transmission tower and the power had to be cut so that the man doe not burn alive. It took 8 hours to bring that person down and restore power. Silly things like these happen every where.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ricky1874 »

dave23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:15 pm I know this story is meant to be funny, but to me it should scare the crap out of people. You mean...a fish can fall on a transformer and cause a power outage for hundreds or thousands of people? Just goes to show you how fragile our infrastructure is.
Agreed. I remember years ago when I lived in a rural county. Whenever we even had mild bad weather, the power would go out.