God of Death

Do you believe in the supernatural and paranormal? If so, talk about them here.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

God of Death

Post by jasmine »

Many ancient religions and myths talk about the God of Death. In your culture, do you have any death deity?
In our culture, Yama is said to be the ruler of the netherworld and the Lord of Death. He is assigned with the tasks of taking lives, judging the souls, and punishing them for their sins or sending them to heaven if they had been good souls.

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: God of Death

Post by ricky1874 »

I'm from the USA and I think for me it would be the "Grim Reaper". Over here he signifies death or the entity that comes to take the living away.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

I think the concept of the Grim Reaper first evolved in Europe and became popular in the 14th century during the Black Death Pandemic. In European folklore death is mentioned as Grim Reaper. In every culture, thre are characters like Grim Reaper.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by alien_head »

This reminds me of a character in Greek mythology called Charon.

Charon, in Greek mythology, the son of Erebus and Nyx (Night), whose duty it was to ferry over the Rivers Styx and Acheron those souls of the deceased who had received the rites of burial. In payment he received the coin that was placed in the mouth of the corpse.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Charon-Greek-mythology
Attachments
Charon.png
Charon.png (190.73 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Post by Mildredtabitha »

I have never heard of anything like that in our country. I am christian and I only know about God's existence, this forum is helping me to know many things that I never heard of.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

Mildredtabitha wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:59 am I have never heard of anything like that in our country. I am christian and I only know about God's existence, this forum is helping me to know many things that I never heard of.
Perhaps, you need to read more about Christianity. According to Bible Azrael is the Angel of Death. He went to the earth to bring God the materials He needed to make a man, and God rewarded Azrael by making him an Angel of Death.
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Post by Mildredtabitha »

jasmine wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:47 am
Mildredtabitha wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:59 am I have never heard of anything like that in our country. I am christian and I only know about God's existence, this forum is helping me to know many things that I never heard of.
Perhaps, you need to read more about Christianity. According to Bible Azrael is the Angel of Death. He went to the earth to bring God the materials He needed to make a man, and God rewarded Azrael by making him an Angel of Death.
Which book and chapter of the bible so that I can check it out I have never even seen a name such as Azrael in the bible.
India

Post by iamawriter »

Among Catholics there is no such thing as God of Death There is only one God who is the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.) - three persons in one.
It is not how much one has but what one makes of what one has is the route to happiness :)
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

Catholics believe in possession, right? Can you explain what possesses human beings? I understand "God of Death" might not be present in Catholicism but there is surely some sorts of dark forces.