The Demonic Horrors of Houska Castle: This Haunted Fortress was Built to Contain a Gateway to Hell

Topic of mysterious places around the world were unusual and unexplained things happen.
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

The Demonic Horrors of Houska Castle: This Haunted Fortress was Built to Contain a Gateway to Hell

Post by staarker »

Many of the world’s so-called gateways to hell amount to nothing more than a creepy setting with a really spooky urban legend attached, but then there’s Houska Castle, a 762-year-old gothic castle that was built to seal shut what locals believe is the real-life entrance to the underworld. Constructed between 1253 and 1278 in the Czech countryside, the location of the massive mansion was specifically chosen in order to seal up a mysterious “bottomless pit” where demonic creatures would enter our world after the sun went down.

Terrifying stories about the pit and the monsters that would claw their way of it at night – black winged creatures that were half human and half animal – spread far and wide. Villagers were terrified to be out of their homes at night, and many of them would never venture anywhere close to the hole, even during the brightest daylight hours.

Before construction on the hellmouth fortress began, all of the village’s prisoners who had been sentenced to death were marched to the edge of the bottomless pit and condemned to a particularly sinister fate: they were tossed in. Any prisoners who managed to make their way back from the pit alive were forgiven for their transgressions and set free. As you might imagine, that didn’t happen very often. http://weekinweird.com/2016/10/29/housk ... y-to-hell/
Attachments
houska-castle-and-bottomless-pit.jpg
houska-castle-and-bottomless-pit.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 4909 times

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: The Demonic Horrors of Houska Castle: This Haunted Fortress was Built to Contain a Gateway to Hell

Post by ricky1874 »

This is definitely a place I wouldn't mind visiting one day. It will definitely go on my places to visit bucket list. Even if it's probably just some made-up story, I still would want to see it. This is like the third or fourth time I've heard people claiming to witness a hole leading to hell.
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Re: The Demonic Horrors of Houska Castle: This Haunted Fortress was Built to Contain a Gateway to Hell

Post by kingsnite »

ricky1874 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:41 pm This is definitely a place I wouldn't mind visiting one day. It will definitely go on my places to visit bucket list. Even if it's probably just some made-up story, I still would want to see it. This is like the third or fourth time I've heard people claiming to witness a hole leading to hell.
You have the right idea. It would be cool to have the time and money to be able to go around and checkout some of these places
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

The so-called bottomless pit seems to be man-made. If it is actually bottomless, how did they actually build it with bricks (as you can see in the photograph)? If the castle is actually that old, has not there been any study? How did the castle survive 7 centuries without man actually maintaining the castle?