Spain’s mysterious underwater ‘Stonehenge’

Topic of mysterious places around the world were unusual and unexplained things happen.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 1 time

Spain’s mysterious underwater ‘Stonehenge’

Post by alien_head »

After 50 years out of sight beneath the waters of a manmade lake in western Spain, the 7,000-year-old megalithic monument known as the Dolmen of Guadalperal is finally back on dry land — emphasis on dry.

As new imagery taken from NASA's Landsat 8 satellite shows, the reappearance of the ancient monument is owed to very low water levels in Spain's Valdecañas Reservoir following a summer of record heat and drought across Europe (and most of the rest of the planet.)

Sometimes labeled the "Spanish Stonehenge," the Dolmen of Guadalperal is a large circle of about 150 standing stones, some more than 6 feet (1.8 meters) tall, arranged around a central, open oval. Archaeologists speculate that the structure was built in the 4th or 5th millennium B.C. (possibly making it thousands of years older than Stonehenge in England). The mysterious megalith may once have supported a massive stone cap that enclosed the space for ritual uses.
https://www.livescience.com/Spanish-sto ... peral.html
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 6035 times

Re: Spain’s mysterious underwater ‘Stonehenge’

Post by dave23 »

This is the first time I ever heard of this. It makes you wonder as to why you find similar structures like this in different parts of the world at different or similar time periods? Was the technology or idea passed along because of people traveling to different parts of the world, or was these technologies and ideas come from an advanced entity?
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by dave362 »

To me, it would seem like archaeologists should spend more time looking for ruins in oceans, seas and other bodies of water. They should do this instead of just waiting until these artifacts just happen to show themselves due to droughts or other natural events exposing them. I'm convinced that some of humanity's most fascinating history is simply covered by water.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ricky1874 »

When I hear stories like this it just makes me realize just how old the Earth is. Just think about all the different civilizations that have existed through the thousands of years of Earth's existence.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

I have never heard of Spanish Stonehenge. I went to read the article published on Live Science and found the proposed theory behind this structure quite fascinating. Ancient civilizations never fail to amaze us. I wish there were more pictures of this site. The article mentions that one particular store with a human figure carved. I wish there was a picture.