What water legends exists around the world?

The discussion of cryptozoology - the study of and search for animals and especially legendary animals (such as Sasquatch) usually in order to evaluate the possibility of their existence

What water legends exists around the world?

Post by mystix71 »

I am curious to see how they compare to each other. I know there are several but I can only think of a few off the top of my head. I am wondering if maybe these legendary creatures travel or migrate and that would explain why there are rare sightings and whatnot. What water legends do you know of and where do they exist or are commonly seen?

Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Re: What water legends exists around the world?

Post by blaqcrow »

Off the top of my head is Umibozu. This is a Japanese legend told among sailors. They said a very large shadow figure of a bald man would appear in the ocean and swallow ships whole.

It is some pretty creepy stuff when you dig into it more.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: What water legends exists around the world?

Post by ricky1874 »

blaqcrow wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:17 pm Off the top of my head is Umibozu. This is a Japanese legend told among sailors. They said a very large shadow figure of a bald man would appear in the ocean and swallow ships whole.

It is some pretty creepy stuff when you dig into it more.
This is the first time I've ever heard of this creature. It reminds me of a cross between the Kraken and a Mermaid.