Mythology

Share your ideas about some interesting topics that you would like to see talked about.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Mythology

Post by mr_iqman »

It would be nice if there was a section for mythology and mystical creatures

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Re: Mythology

Post by jasmine »

I love reading mythology, especially Egyptian and Greek mythology. I believe mythology books are actually pseudo-history. Mythology contains historical anecdotes in disguised form.

Re: Mythology

Post by Kieranlewix »

mr_iqman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:36 am It would be nice if there was a section for mythology and mystical creatures
I agree with you 100% on this. I am such a fan of mythology from all over the world. Greek, Norwegian and Egyptian Mythologies specifically hold a special place in my heart. Greek mythology as a whole encompasses so many interesting gods and demigods with my favorite being Hercules. In the Hercules animated movie, he is Zeus's son who is stolen from Mr Olympus by Hades' minions. They make him drink a portion that strips him of his godhood. Though portrayed as a demigod, he isn't really one since demigods are the offspring of gods and humans; like Percy Jackson son of Poseidon. After he is turned mortal, he is found by Amphitryon and his wife who raise him as their son. Needless to say, he grows up to question his identity since he possesses unimaginable strength which makes his peers fear and hate him. The movie culminates in his saving his father and Mt Olympus and regaining his godhood only to give it up for Megara, which really pissed me off to be honest :lol: In other Hercules movies, he's actually a true demigod and so much literature supports this version of events.

I also love Norwegian mythology, of course because one of their gods is part of Marvel's Avengers. Thor is the powerful god of thunder. He possesses unbelievable strength just like his fellow greek gods and also fights his enemies with his faithful hammer myonmir. Needless to say, he is my favorite Norwegian god. I particularly loved the crossover scene in Thor; Love and Thunder where Thor, god of Thunder meets Zeus, god of lightning. Zeus makes fun of him, telling him that technically, Thor is god of nothing since thunder is just the sound of lightning. Thor ends up beating Zeus and stealing his thunderbolt, which is ironic considering how Zeus had previously looked down upon Thor and also because Zeus is perhaps the strongest, most ferocious and unforgiving god in Greek mythology.

Egyptian mythology is also very special to me. The movie "gods of Egypt" is what got me hooked on Egyptian lore. Ra, the Egyptian God of the Sun is the father of Osiris and Set and the grandfather of Horus. His son Osiris is the Egyptian God of the Afterlife, the father of Horus, brother of Set and the king of Egypt. Osiris' rule is a peaceful one until his brother Set decides to kill him and ascend the throne of Egypt. He mercilessly beats Horus, his brother's son and successor and becomes king. The story culminates in Bek, a young man who partners up with Horus to help his girlfriend avoid going to hell by paying Anubis, god of death, succeeding in this mission and Horus ascending his throne. I got a chance to learn the names and functions of the various Egyptian gods such as:
- Horus, the Egyptian God of Air and Hathor's lover
- Set, the Egyptian God of the Desert, brother of Osiris, husband of Nephthys.
- Thoth, the Egyptian God of Wisdom
- Hathor, the Egyptian Goddess of Love and Horus's lover
- Ra, the Egyptian God of the Sun, father of Osiris and Seth, grandfather of Horus
- Isis, the Egyptian Goddess of Health, Marriage and Wisdom who is the wife of Osiris, sister of Nephthys and the mother of Horus
- Nephthys, the Goddess of Protection, Set's wife and Isis's sister
All in all, I love mythology and would love it if we could talk about all things mythology here 😃