Engineers Transform Dead Spiders into Robotic Claws

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

Engineers Transform Dead Spiders into Robotic Claws

Post by staarker »

A team of engineers from Rice University devised a way to transform the bodies of dead spiders into robotic claws akin to those seen in the classic arcade game. According to a press release, the macabre feat was accomplished by researchers at the university's Preston Innovation Laboratory and came about in a rather serendipitous fashion. "We were moving stuff around in the lab and we noticed a curled up spider at the edge of the hallway," graduate student Faye Yap recalled, "we were really curious as to why spiders curl up after they die." Upon looking into the phenomenon, they learned that spiders control their joints using hydraulics, which led the team to search for "a way to leverage this mechanism." https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/ ... tic-claws/

youtu.be/1JOS6hMHIUM

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Re: Engineers Transform Dead Spiders into Robotic Claws

Post by jasmine »

I was a kid when I watched Robocop. I always believed that one day the line between human beings and machines will blur. If the scientists have managed to give robotic claws to a spider, I think they will soon give artificial limbs to human beings and create a hybrid creature. However, I am against such things. Let the human remain a human.