This tube of lunar soil has been sealed since 1972. NASA is finally about to open it.

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

This tube of lunar soil has been sealed since 1972. NASA is finally about to open it.

Post by staarker »

NASA scientists are about to find out whether lunar soil ages like fine wine.

This month, researchers with the space agency are finally opening a container of lunar soil collected by Apollo 17 astronauts 50 years ago. The vacuum-sealed container, collected in December 1972, contains rocks and soil from a landslide deposit on the moon's Taurus-Littrow Valley – and, if scientists are lucky, may also hold some trace samples of lunar gas as well, the agency said in a statement.

https://www.livescience.com/apollo-17-5 ... lunar-soil
Attachments
1.PNG
1.PNG (219.47 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: This tube of lunar soil has been sealed since 1972. NASA is finally about to open it.

Post by ricky1874 »

Hopefully there's no alien virus or bacteria hiding in the soil to turn all of us into zombies haha. Even if the finding can be scary, this is an interesting story I will try to keep up with.
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Re: This tube of lunar soil has been sealed since 1972. NASA is finally about to open it.

Post by kingsnite »

This is really scary when you think about it. With everything going on in the world today, how much scarier would it be to think about unleashing a alien virus? So, I think this story is frighting.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

ricky1874 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:43 am Hopefully there's no alien virus or bacteria hiding in the soil to turn all of us into zombies haha. Even if the finding can be scary, this is an interesting story I will try to keep up with.
Looks like you are too much carried away by science fiction, especially the Aliens theory.
I do not think there will be such thing as an alien virus or bacteria in the lunar soil. However, I am under impression that Martian soil might contain some traces of life forces.