Artificial meat: UK scientists growing 'bacon' in labs

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

Artificial meat: UK scientists growing 'bacon' in labs

Post by staarker »

British scientists have joined the race to produce meat grown in the lab rather than reared on the hoof.

Scientists at the University of Bath have grown animal cells on blades of grass, in a step towards cultured meat.

If the process can be reproduced on an industrial scale, meat lovers might one day be tucking into a slaughter-free supply of "bacon".

The researchers say the UK can move the field forward through its expertise in medicine and engineering.

Lab-based meat products are not yet on sale, though a US company, Just, has said its chicken nuggets, grown from cells taken from the feather of chicken that is still alive, will soon be in a few restaurants. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47611026

Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Artificial meat: UK scientists growing 'bacon' in labs

Post by mr_iqman »

I know this may sound disgusting to a lot of people, but I find it interesting. I've always felt guilty about eating animals and tried to become a vegetarian years ago (I didn't have enough will power to maintain it). Maybe this way I can eat meat without feeling so guilty about it.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

If this is an ethical question (killing animals for food), eating lab-grown meat can be considered good but I do not think this would be a healthy choice. How can you trust lab-grown meat.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ricky1874 »

This makes sense to me. To me, this is just part of the evolution of mankind. When you watch any futuristic space movie you don't see any slaughter houses or meat plants or grocery stores. In the future all of our food will be grown in a lab.