What are the pros and cons of the potential use of Neuralink?

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Been Liked: 1 time

What are the pros and cons of the potential use of Neuralink?

Post by dave362 »

Neuralink is Elon Musk’s (Tesla, SpaceX) neurotechnology company that is developing implantable brain-computer interfaces. Its goal is to make devices to treat serious brain diseases in the short-term, with the eventual goal of human enhancement, combining the human brain with AI (artificial intelligence).

youtu.be/Gv_XB6Hf6gM

Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: What are the pros and cons of the potential use of Neuralink?

Post by ricky1874 »

This sounds like the movie "Upgrade". Of course if I was paralyzed or had lost a limb I would love to have one of these implants.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by jeremydeth »

One of the cons I can see with this technology is with meshing of Brain-Machine together could lead to a whole new class of enhanced people. What happens when a person can just download an entire language or skill in a few seconds like in the movie “Upgrade”. What would be the need for schools anymore?
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by mr_iqman »

To me, what makes technology like this scary, is not about what it can do now...it’s why can’t it do more. I remember over 20 years ago, TIME magazine had a monkey on the front cover playing a video game just using his thoughts. 20 years ago Window XP was the latest operating system and this was monkey. Neuralink is just one device but I’m pretty sure that there are devices and systems out there that are 10x more advance than it. We just haven’t heard about them yet.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

First of all, we need to decide what exactly is the motive of human life? We need answers to the questions like why we exist here, where we are heading to, etc. When we know the true answers to these questions, we would know exactly whether we need neuraink or not.
India

Post by iamawriter »

Elon Musk will soon have this system in place which is more to correct neural disorders which I think is a good thing

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/202 ... 629809001/
It is not how much one has but what one makes of what one has is the route to happiness :)

Post by veronikam »

Although I can see the benefits of this type of science, like helping with the quality of life for those who can not do things because of disabilities, at the same time, it seems a little mad scientist to me. Not only is "elective" brain surgery a bit dangerous, machines always have failures, and what if there is some kind of short circuit while the chip is already placed in your brain? What happens to that person?