The Secret Landings on Mars

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 1 time

The Secret Landings on Mars

Post by alien_head »

After the United States first put a man on the Moon and the Soviet Union landed a rover that could freely move across its surface, the USSR’s next goal would be more ambitious: to finally touch down on Mars.

The Soviets had been developing a space program to send a rover to Mars since 1960. But it wasn’t until the launch of Mars 2 in 1971 that they were close to achieving their objective. However, the rover crashed on the planet after a landing malfunction.

The mission was shortly followed by Mars 3, which completed its goal of becoming the first spacecraft to land on the red planet and capture footage of its rocky surface.

Minutes after its activation, the rover began transmitting data back to Earth. But 14 seconds after it started moving, the first man-made object to reach Mars lost signal.

Before going black, the rover transmitted a fuzzy black and white image. It then went silent forever.

Russia initially kept the Mars 3 landing a secret. And for almost 40 years, the mystery of what happened to the spacecraft remained unanswered. It was until the late 2000s that an astonishing satellite discovery left the space community in awe...

youtu.be/uuh0WkHjMYY

Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: The Secret Landings on Mars

Post by mr_iqman »

This makes me wonder how many more countries have explored Mars or the Moon. Over here in the US we have this idea that the rest of the world is primitive. But in reality, mankind across the board has become amazingly advanced.
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ricky1874 »

mr_iqman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:15 pm This makes me wonder how many more countries have explored Mars or the Moon. Over here in the US we have this idea that the rest of the world is primitive. But in reality, mankind across the board has become amazingly advanced.
Yeah, it does make you wonder. With all the advancements in countries like China, Japan, the UK and other countries that have satellite or space programs, you would think that many of them would have already sent probes to explore the planet.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by jeremydeth »

If this is true, I wonder what their space program really looks like now? Because if this is true, their space program should be as advanced or more advanced as ours
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

I know nothing about USSR Mars Mission. I always thought Mars Pathfinder from the US was the first spacecraft to land on Mars. The incident happened on July 4, 1997.