Do you think the woolly mammoth should be "brought back to life" by cloning?

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.

Re: Do you think the woolly mammoth should be "brought back to life" by cloning?

Post by jesus721 »

No I do not think the woolly mammoth should be brought back to life. Species evolve and go extinct due to the natural processes of nature and human intervention in this matter would cause severe ecological issues. The woolly mammoth went extinct roughly 4,000 years ago due to climate change. If the climate could not support this creature's existence then, it's likely that it would be able to now given the enormous changes in climate we're currently dealing with. To bring back an extinct species would interfere with the survival of other species and since everything is connected, it would lead to the extinction of many unrelated species as well. Maintaining a balance within our ecosystem would be not possible by doing something as catastrophic as reviving animals.

Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Do you think the woolly mammoth should be "brought back to life" by cloning?

Post by jeremydeth »

jesus721 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 am No I do not think the woolly mammoth should be brought back to life. Species evolve and go extinct due to the natural processes of nature and human intervention in this matter would cause severe ecological issues. The woolly mammoth went extinct roughly 4,000 years ago due to climate change. If the climate could not support this creature's existence then, it's likely that it would be able to now given the enormous changes in climate we're currently dealing with. To bring back an extinct species would interfere with the survival of other species and since everything is connected, it would lead to the extinction of many unrelated species as well. Maintaining a balance within our ecosystem would be not possible by doing something as catastrophic as reviving animals.
I was thinking the same thing. Whether the woolly mammoth went extinct due to the changing climate, human intervention, or a combination of them, they would likely just go extinct all over again for the same reasons. Since earth is in an even worse climate than the one they went extinct in, it would be highly unlikely that they would have a habitat they would be suitable for them now. I never considered that bringing them back could also impact other species but that's very true. I just can't think of any good reasons to bring them back and think resources could be better spent elsewhere.

Post by davidworth »

No, I do not think the woolly mammoth should be brought back through cloning. Unlike dinosaurs, woolly mammoths gradually went extinct due to changing environmental factors and not being able to sustain themselves through them. Woolly mammoths went extinct about 10,000 years ago. After so much time, it would be unlikely that they would be able to adapt now, given that earth relatively maintaining the same trajectory that they went extinct in. Due to this, it would be highly unlikely they would be able to stay alive and they would likely just go extinct all over again. Basically, because they haven't been accustomed to the way the earth is now (and couldn't even before) they wouldn't survive without help. Most scientists agree that there is little habitat left where a woolly mammoth could live. Woolly mammoths generally preferred cooler climates with a lot of vegetation. Additionally, scientists also agree that resources could be better spent preserving animals that are already on the verge of extinction. Overall, it just wouldn't make much practical sense to bring them back.

Post by rnastee »

No, I don't believe that the woolly mammoth should be brought back to life. I have two main reasons why I do not think something like this should happen. The first is that I don't think the woolly mammoth could survive in the world nowadays. They were built for massive cold lands where they were the biggest and strongest animals, and I don't think there is an environment for them to live in. I also think that people would abuse the fact that they have been brought back to life by doing things like selling their fur and other valuable parts of their bodies.