China clones a pair of Tibetan GOATS using same technique that produced Dolly the sheep in 1997

Discuss events like time-travel, space travel, new technologies etc. here.
Site Admin
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member
Been Liked: 1 time
United States of America

China clones a pair of Tibetan GOATS using same technique that produced Dolly the sheep in 1997

Post by staarker »

China has claimed that it has successfully cloned the first Tibetan goats using the same technique that produced the world's first cloned animal, Dolly the sheep.

Scientists said the goat clones were created by somatic cell cloning, which involves transferring the nucleus of an adult cell into a new egg cell. The egg is then implanted in a surrogate mother who gives birth to a baby that has zero percent of her DNA but 100 percent of the donor's.

The first-born weighed 7.4 pounds and 'is healthy,' according to a video from the state-owned news channel China Central Television, but there has been no mention of the second goat.

They were cloned from massive, prize-winning male goats who are desirable for breeding.

Chinese scientists said they are doing this to 'restore and preserve' the genetic material from 'excellent individuals' in the population - a difficult process for breeders and herders.
The first-born weighed 7.4 pounds and 'is healthy,' according to a video from the state-owned news channel China Central Television, but there has been no mention of the second goat. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... ition.html

youtu.be/PDbjW-gA1Xo

Re: China clones a pair of Tibetan GOATS using same technique that produced Dolly the sheep in 1997

Post by sammyk »

I'm just wondering just how far advanced has the cloning technology gone since Dolly the sheep...because you know they just didn't stop the research because of the laws passed at the time.
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: China clones a pair of Tibetan GOATS using same technique that produced Dolly the sheep in 1997

Post by jeremydeth »

sammyk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:16 am I'm just wondering just how far advanced has the cloning technology gone since Dolly the sheep...because you know they just didn't stop the research because of the laws passed at the time.
I know what you mean. I'm just waiting on the announcement of the so-called "First human clone". :lol: