A pot that is watched never boils

Talk about various topics not covered in any of the other forums.
India

A pot that is watched never boils

Post by iamawriter »

It is said that a pot that is watched never boils. We all know that it is not true but this thought is so etched in our minds that we refrain from watching anything even though it needs to be watched. Have you ever experienced disappointments just because you closely watched the progress of something that you have started?

Do you believe in this saying?

It is not how much one has but what one makes of what one has is the route to happiness :)
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Re: A pot that is watched never boils

Post by jasmine »

There is a popular story in our country. A mother asked a kid to watch the milk, the kid watched the milk while a cat came and drank all milk. Watching the pot does not mean just staring at the pot, watching the pot also means taking action when needed.
India

Post by iamawriter »

That is an opposite situation where the kid never watched (lol) But we housewives will stand near the gas range and keep looking at what is on the gas and that is when we notice it never boils but in reality it does, taking its own time.
It is not how much one has but what one makes of what one has is the route to happiness :)
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Nepal

Post by jasmine »

Back to your original question, I have never been disappointed watching the progress of something that I started. Not everything that one starts will yield positive results, not everything will go as planned. There is an interesting question that Oedipus asks in Oedipus The Rex (pay by Sophocles). He says if everything was preplanned by Gods, did I sin by doing what it was planned?
India

Post by iamawriter »

The joy of seeing something when it is finished is far greater than watching it at every stage of its growth and that perhaps is what the saying wants us to understand.

And as for your question about doing what God has planned I would say we should go about doing depending on how we look at a given situation.